St. Patricks Church
The following details are taken from the excellent book ‘The Churches of Kildare & Loughlin
2000 AD’ by John Duffy. The book was officially launched on 30/11/01.
The church site was purchased by Bishop Daniel Delany of Tullow in the early 1800’s, and the present church was built at the rear of an earlier structure that had existed for 100 years. Preparatory work was done by Rev. W. Kinsella P.P. and his successor, Rev. John Kehoe P.P. Fr. Kinsella had left £500 in his will towards the project and the total cost was over £3000.
A bottle containing a Latin inscription was embedded in the new church and it read:
“On 17th May 1885 Leo XIII being Pope over the whole church. Bishop James Walsh laid the foundation stone of the church at Rathoe. Fr. Patrick F. Nolan P.P. of Ballon & Rathoe.”
By 1889, Fr. Nolan was fund-raising to pay for furnishings. In September of that year a huge bazaar was held in Rathoe,
An ancient Baptismal font, octangular in shape and pierced an the centre, was transferred from the ruins of Templepeter church to St. Patrick’s for the centenary in 1990. A beautiful stained glass window window by Early’s studio, Dublin, overlooks the high Altar. This was erected in the 1930’s. The panels depict the Annunciation, the Crucifixion and the Resurrection.
A major renovation of the church was completed in 2003
Date of church: 1887
Architect: William Hague
Builder: Carbery, Athy
Style: Gothic Stone
Rathoe (Rath – Tuaith, North Rath or Fort)